Requesting a Refund

Learn how you can request a refund of your contributions and interest.


Members who voluntarily or involuntarily separate employment with any SBCERA participating employer have certain rights and options regarding their SBCERA account. One of the options is requesting a refund.

Whether you are a Vested Member or Non-Vested Member, if you have refundable contributions, you have the right to a refund of the money in your account. You can request a refund of your account balance, or a rollover of your account balance to an IRA or an eligible employer plan. You can also rollover a partial amount to an IRA or an eligible employer plan and have the remaining funds paid to you directly. 

Important Notes:

  • If you have only non-refundable contributions, and are a Vested Member, your only option is deferred retirement and you may not request a refund.
  • If you have both refundable and non-refundable contributions, you may request the refundable portion of your contributions. Please contact SBCERA to verify this option is available to you.
  • To refund or roll over funds, you cannot be employed by any SBCERA participating employer in any capacity, including part-time, seasonal, extra help, reserve, or paid call.
  • You may request a refund if you are an active member of a reciprocal system or a member of JRS, JRS II, or STRS.
  • It can take up to 6 to 10 weeks from the date the completed request has been received for your payment to be issued.
  • Please be advised that you waive all rights to retirement benefits, including SBCERA disability and reciprocal benefits when you receive a refund or roll over your refundable contributions. 

Request a Refund

Once your employer has reported you as terminated, you can select your separation option by logging into your mySBCERA account at You can also navigate to mySBCERA by selecting “Access mySBCERA” on the homepage of our website.

After logging into your account, you should be prompted to complete the “Your Options at Separation” online form where you can select your separation option.

Here, you will also be able to view your account balance, verify your years of service credit, and access additional information about your retirement account so you can make an informed decision.

Need Help?

If you have any additional questions, you can email us at or give us a call at (909) 885-7980.

Log in