Retirement directly from active service with a participating employer is called a service retirement. Your eligibility for retirement depends on your age, years of service credit, and your membership classification and tier. To be eligible to retire, you must meet at least one of the requirements listed below based on your tier.
Tier 1 Member:
- Age 50 with at least 10 years of service credit, or
- At any age with 30 years of service credit or more for General members. Or, 20 years of service credit or more for Safety members, or
- Age 70 or older with any amount of service credit.
- Active part-time employees at age 55 or older with a minimum of 10 years of membership with SBCERA and 5 years of service credit.
Tier 2 Member:
- General members at age 52 with at least 5 years of SBCERA service credit.
- Safety members at age 50 with at least 5 years of SBCERA service credit.